Resources on Liability Issues Available to Members Online
Developed by NAHB’s Building Product Issues Committee, the Construction Liability Web page on the redesigned www.nahb.org provides association members with exclusive content on the latest substantive technical, legal and business issues affecting the industry.
The Building Product Issues Committee focuses on problems arising in connection with new construction and remodeling to help builders address builder liability and construction defects. The committee also strives to contain rising and unstable costs of building supplies that threaten the affordability of new homes.
Content on the page is developed by attorneys in NAHB’s Construction Liability & Legal Research Department and by outside experts.
Among the valuable links available to members:
• Builder Resources on Chinese Drywall helps builders and home builders associations understand the Chinese drywall issue and communicate this knowledge to home owners and members of associations.
• Construction Liability Green Building provides information on potential legal issues involving green building — including contracts and warranties, pitfalls of green marketing, installation and product issues, and much more.
• Articles and white papers address such insurance coverage topics as Insurance Coverage for Claims of Latent Defects: What Protection Is a Builder Buying? and Risk Transfer for Trade Contractors.
• Materials such as Moisture Protection of Exterior Walls and Improving Drainage and Drying Features in Certain Conditions: Rain Screen Designs for Absorptive Claddings are available to address water intrusion and insufficient drainage issues that can pose a potential threat to the durability and usability of residential construction.
• NAHB mold resources provide builders and property owners and managers with information on minimizing mold claims and defending against litigation, cleaning up mold, health issues related to mold and much more.
Construction liability resources on the Web site can also answer questions about the effect of reflected sunlight from low-e and other double-paned windows, carpet soiling and radon in granite countertops.
The page also includes links to NAHB “friend-of-the-court” or Amicus Briefs filed on behalf of members involved in litigation on issues such as insurance coverage, OSHA enforcement and the economic loss rule.
Also available, Surveys & Pamphlets on which NAHB has worked with outside organizations provide technical and business information on a variety of issues such as risk management, building materials and construction practices.
Most of the materials and information on these pages is exclusive member content, and can only be accessed by members who have logged on to www.nahb.org.
Logged-on NAHB members can go right to the Construction Liability pages by clicking on www.nahb.org/constructionliability.